Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumba

You learn alot of swahili in the movie The Lion King. I didn't know it, but I already had a good start on the language before even stepping foot in Kenya.

My brother named his cat "Simba" after the movie came out.  I remember being in kindergarten and going to a Lion King themed birthday party where we danced around singing, "Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase..."  And my best friend and I used to tell each other "Asante sana, squash banana."

Little did I know that these are legitimate swahili words in that movie.

Rafiki = Friend
Simba= Lion
Hakuna Matata = No worries
Asante Sana = Thank you very much (So when translated, the phrase means "thank you very much squahed banana")

But I learned a new one yesterday.

Pumba. He is the loving, unintelligent, clumsy warthog. And his name says it all. Pumba is short for the swahili word Pumbavu which means "idiot"

Hmm. I have been calling that warthog an "idiot" since I was little. Oh Walt Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment