Thursday, May 20, 2010

Do the people melt?

I had the most delightful night tonight. I was trying to call my mother but the connection wasn't good enough for Skype so I decided to head to one of the girls' rooms to show them some old photos of themselves. I have photos of them from 5 years ago when I came to Kenya for the first time and they were all small. I thought it would be fun for them to see themselves.

It sure was. We giggled like little school girls as we searched through the photos trying to recognize each other since we have changed so much. At one point, the power went out and so we all huddled around the computer. I loved having these girls, who are like little sisters to me, so close to me hugging my waist or resting their chins on my head. As I looked at them, my heart was in such delight. Love love love these girls.

Once we had finished looking at picture of them they wanted to see all my pictures, especially those of my parents and home back in Canada. So I showed them a whole bunch of photos I took of my family, friends and I right before I left for Kenya in January. I had some photos of the blueberry paulson (a local mountain pass) with the trees and roads covered in snow. They were all amazed at how the earth had a white blanket on it. Then one of the girls piped up and said,

"Do the people melt?" 

We all looked at each other for a second and then burst out into laughter. The girl, realizing what she had said, covered her face and started to giggle at herself. I had to explain to her that it was the snow that melted, not the people.

The night was a delight. It was a gift from God, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment