Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nestea arrives in Kenya

Last year when my dad came to visit me, I requested for him to bring me two things: Reese's Peanut Butter cups and Nestea Ice tea. It was also close to easter so my mom packed an extra bag of mini eggs, an all time favourite of mine.

I was driving in Nairobi one day and, to my delight, there was a huge billboard advertising Nestea Ice Tea! I got all excited. The people in car thought I was crazy. They were wondering what all the excitement was about as I explained to them what it was. They looked at me like, "You are excited because a drink?" I guess they don't quite understand as they have never left the country and missed something that they are so used to. The best part is that it is so cheap. It is like 25cents for a package that makes around 6-7 glasses of ice tea. So I went searching in the supermarket for my fav drink and bought several packages. Since then I have been sharing with all my friends and they are slowly getting hooked. I think I am a good advertisment for Nestea. Life is more comfortable now that Nestea has arrived.

These days, Kenya is not lacking much that the West has. You can find almost any kind of chocolate bar you want even SMARTIES which are a Canadian chocolate. At time you can find things like El Paso Taco Seasoning, Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup, or Sidekicks. I get all excited when I find Doritos!!! They are rare to find but still available. Although usually by the time they get to Kenya, they are all crushed.

But Kenya is fast forwarding in the area of variety foods. Sodas now come in flavours such as Orange, Pinepple, Passion Fruit, Pear, Lemon, and Black Currant. Coffee shops are popping up everywhere and Kenyans  have add the words "Cappuccino" and "Cheesecake" to their vocabularies. Yes, I have found yummy cheesecake here!

Although there are still a few things I am waiting for. Things like chocolate chips, Old dutch chips, good cheese, flavoured coffee or better yet Starbucks!

But in the mean time, I will be sitting on the beach drinking a nice cold cup of Nestea Ice Tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment