Friday, April 22, 2011

Eggs and bunnies, parties and cheap drinks

The streets are buzzing tonight in Mombasa. I just got home from a simple, but powerful, Good Friday service at a local church. People are all over the streets. I can hear music blaring from the local bars and see people all dressed up in their hottest outfits. They are ready to party. It's easter for goodness sake. Isn't that when we are suppose to party??

Um, no.

Maybe celebrate, but not get sloshed at a beach party.

Over the past few days I have seen signs go up advertising the hottest easter beach parties offering cheap drink specials. Through chitter chatter with friends, I have heard of other parties and late night events that are happening around the area. I am sensing a theme, a trend, a tradition.

For many of us who grew up in the West, Easter was more about eggs (I am dying for cadbury mini eggs), turkey, family, a 4 day weekend, and, of course, the easter bunny. That is what Easter represents for the general public (including many christians). In Kenya, I am seeing Easter as a weekend off work to travel to see friends, hit up the hippest beach parties, and take advantage of the uber cheap drink specials. I even have a lot of Christian friends who are excited to partake of all the festivities.

Interesting how different cultures have come up with different ways to enjoy this holiday without having to believe the true meaning behind the holiday. They have made up their own reason for the season.

For me, I am laying low spending time reflecting on what really happened over 2000 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment