Monday, October 4, 2010

That familiar sweat moustache...

Yes, it's back. That sweat moustache. The tiny beads of sweat that form above your upper lip which leaves you constantly wiping your lips with your t-shirt. It's gross yet uncontrollable. Everyone gets it; it's not just me.

The weather is starting to really heat up like I remember it. When I first moved to Mombasa, I just happened to move here just as the hot season was beginning. It's not that scorching hot where the sun beats down on you instantly burning your skin. It's a muggy, humid heat that leaves every part of your body constantly sticky. You sweat all the time! If you are in a rush and decide to run up the stairs to get something, you will come back down having beads of sweat dripping down your face. Cooking over a stove or even drinking a hot drink will cause you to sweat profusely. It doesn't cool down at night either. You lay on your back, since it is too hot to sleep any other position, and you have the fan on high all night blowing directly at you. There are even days where you will spread your body out like a starfish to avoid sweat in the cracks of your body and sit under a ceiling fan and STILL sweat.

I must have wiped my sweat moustache about 100 times today. I got into my room this afternoon and starting filling a bucket of cold water to bathe in, turned on the fan, and changed into my shorts and tank top. It's only just beginning so it's not too bad yet. I will be missing the worst of it since I go home in a few short weeks. Praise the Lord!

Speaking of going home....I don't want to.

A few weeks ago I was actually really looking forward to it but now I am dreading it more and more. I am so excited to see my family and friends and enjoy some of the wonderful luxuries of Canada but I know all that excitement will wear off within two weeks and then I will be counting down the days till I can return. So please pray that God prepares my heart to leave the people and this wonderful (yet quirky) country that I am so in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment