Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stuffy head

I knew it would happen sooner or later. I have come down with a terrible head cold. I started to feel it coming on when I was flying over here (they make the plane cabins so cold these days) and I have been fighting it for the past 5 days. Finally, it peaked yesterday. I ended up fast asleep for about 3 hours yesterday afternoon which was surprising since my neighbours seem to think they run a disco club out of their house during the day. Even amongst the booming base, I managed to stay cool and sleep away the afternoon.

Speaking of cool, it is near non-existant right now. I had forgotten how hot Mombasa gets this time of year.  You can't go anywhere without beads of sweat dripping down your face. Even if you are standing in the shade you are sweating profusely. Plus, we kept having power outages all day yesterday so my fan would turn on and off at its own will (although the power outages were nice because the music upstairs would stop and the peace and quiet would come).

Adjusting back to Mombasa has been difficult. I am still battling some culture shock. I am finding things that I used to love, I just can't stand anymore. I love locking myself in my apartment because I don't want to face what is outside. Plus, my apartment has a nice cool breeze that runs through it so I can feel cool, somewhat. My transition has not been easy. So I have decided to take a small trip up to eldoret (my kenyan home) to visit all my loved ones up there. My culture shock is sucking the life out of me and I need my joy and zeal back. Pray for me as I take the journey tonight and pray that I will overcome this culture shock and begin to enjoy my surroundings again.

No comments:

Post a Comment