Friday, October 14, 2011

A Flooding Mombasa

Finally a little glimpse of sunshine has peeped through the clouds today. 

At least the rain has stopped. It had been raining since I returned here on Saturday. 

You are probably thinking, "gosh Nikole, you are such a baby. It's just rain." You are right, it is just rain. But in Mombasa, it makes everything go haywire. Mombasa is generally really hot, sunny, and humid. They do have very mild rainy seasons where it drizzles or pours on and off for a day or so. However, it does stop and at least let your clothes dry and all the puddles disappear. 

Not this week. Mombasa has had torrential downpour. They actually calculated that it poured for almost 24 hours straight a couple nights ago. In a town where everything is dirt and there is no such things as indoor malls or dryers, it just leaves everything messy. Mud, guck, water, dampness...yuck. 

It has gotten so bad that it was even one of the top stories on the news last night. Almost 200 people have been displaced in Mombasa because their homes have been flooded. 3 people died in an accident due to the rain. Homes, stores, and schools have been damaged. Mombasa lacks good infrastructure so something so abnormal and extreme as this rain has had some severe side effects. 

For me, my house smells. Everything is damp and can't dry. I have pretty much been hiding in my house the last couple days on mould control. And you can't wash any clothes cause they won't dry but yet they will get some mildew if they stay in the laundry bin. I have now laid them out all over the floor in another bedroom as to keep the smell contained and reduce the growth of mildew. 

On a more positive note, I have loved the cool weather and the sound of the rain. Who doesn't love to curl up on the couch with a hot cup of coffee and watch a movie??

Today things seem to be a bit better. I am grateful as I am picking up a friend from the airport today who has come to spend the weekend with me. I am hoping to show her the sights, eat the yummy food, and hit up the beach providing the weather holds out.

Oh mister sun, sun, mister golden sun, please shine down on me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment