Thursday, June 23, 2011

A childhood friend comes to visit

I have had the most wonderful week! My long time friend, Katie, came to stay 5 whole days with me in Mombasa. She is doing a research project for her degree in Dar Es Salaam (about 600km south of Mombasa) and took a week off to come spend time with me. I was so blessed! 

Katie and I grew up together. We started dancing and playing soccer together when in middle school and our friendship became stronger in our last years of high school. Since high school, we have been either going to school or travelling or working in different parts of the world so we only get a short period of time during holidays to catch up. This week was wonderful having so many  hours of just catching up with all that we have done and who we have become over the past 5 years. 

I put her back on the bus  yesterday morning on the verge of tears. It was sad to see her go. I spent the rest of the day feeling a little homesick. 

Having Katie around gave me the chance to really enjoy all that Mombasa has to offer. I guess when you live in a place, you forget to really enjoy it. People always say that if they lived as close to the beach as I do, they would go swimming everyday. I don't know why but I just don't go. However, Katie gave me an excuse to do all these fun things that I never do. 

I forgot how refreshing it is to go swimming the ocean. We bobbled in the waves as we chatted about life. She was in awe of the beautiful beaches.

 I gave her a tour of Old Town Mombasa (my old neighbourhood) where we admired the beautiful structures and enjoyed the local food.


There is a sweet coffee house in Old Town that serves traditional Swahili coffee (coffee with spices such as cinnamon, ginger, pepper, lemongrass and others). You take off your shoes and cozy up with cushions on the floor. 

A walk along the ocean. 

We even went out dancing! It was a hoot although I am not so sure that I would do it again but I am glad I experienced it. 

It was my nieces birthday party on Sunday. Michelle turned 8 years old. 

All the kids who came for yummy Pilau and cake!


Kelvin was asked to preach at a small concert at a church so Katie and I tagged along. We totally enjoyed the hyper atmosphere and watching all the kids dance. 

Our final night we decided to take a 2 hour sunset boat cruise on the Mtwapa creek. Kelvin and I had been wanting to do it but wanted to find some people to go with. It was just gorgeous! After the sun set, we just sailed on the still, quiet waters under the stars and candle light cracking jokes and laughing while the frogs croaked in the distance. Amazing! 

So thankful for a good friend from home. It is just what my heart needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment