Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Peace


"I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth"
Genesis 9:13

Last week was a huge victory for Kenya. As many of you know, Kenya had a referendum to vote on the new constitution. Wednesday was the big day when Kenyans hit the polling stations to cast their votes. I woke up not knowing what to expect. Everyone had their guard up especially after the post-election violence in 07/08. Missionary friends were telling me to stock up on food and phone credit and to make sure I am registered with my embassy. However, as I woke up that morning all was calm. I decided to go to town to visit some friends (the president declared it a public holiday so people could vote). I was amazed at the peaceful atmosphere everywhere I went. You wouldn't have known anything was happening. People just went on with their daily affairs and not much was being talked about concerning the voting. I was amazed. As the voting closed in the evening and the results were being tallied live on TV, everything was still at peace. People sat and watched all night long. The "YES" was quickly gaining a lead over "NO". By the afternoon the following day, YES declared victory. 

There was no big parties or celebrations. It felt like a normal day. The NO team conceded defeat and declaring that Kenyans have made their decision as to what they believe is best for their country. Leaders of both sides stayed calm, cool and collected encouraging their citizens to do the same. 

It was surreal. I couldn't believe the 'peace that surpasses all understanding' in this country. It was a great victory for Kenyans. They proved their earnest desire for a better Kenya. They allowed their hearts to be loving and considerate of others. And God was glorified in mighty ways. 

I was walking home yesterday and saw this amazing rainbow that stretched across the sky. It made me thank God for His covenant of peace (Is 54:10) with us. Amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment