Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No purpose of Yours can be withheld...


Things here at Word of life have been a bit slow lately. Schools have been closed since the beginning of August. We weren't able to have many camps as there were just no campers willing to register and the referendum slowed things down for us. We had a few opportunities to do some day camps, help out at some seminars, and speak in a few churches but to be completely honest, life has been a bit boring here for the past few weeks. 

It's hard to not do anything. You come here ready and willing to be used and to serve and then you find there is nothing to do. In July we were crazy busy with various ministries and now, a month later, we are twiddling our thumbs. I know I have been struggling with this a lot lately. I hate being here and not being useful. I hate spending my afternoons just in my room reading or playing on my computer when I know I could be doing something. Although, I am so thankful that I have a good community and friends around me that I can keep myself busy on weekends. Like this past weekend, I didn't even have a moment to rest with all the hustle and bustle with my friends. I love it. I count it as ministry too. 

I think one thing we often do, especially those in ministry, is we trick ourselves into thinking that the busier we are, the better ministry we are having. We must be busy to feel important or successful. 

So this morning the team came together to resume work as we usually do. We all sat in the office and stared at each other wondering what to do. Finally someone piped up and read a verse from Job. Then another piped up and talked about another part from Luke. We all started sharing what we had been learning in our quiet time and it was amazing that we were all on the same page. God had been speaking to all of us about the same things. It's not just me who has been struggling; so has everyone else. They have questioned what their purpose here at Word of Life is, they are frustrated with not doing anything, and they are starting to turn to God and question Him. But God is in the middle of all of this. We haven't chosen to have nothing to do. We are ready and willing to work but these are the circumstances. We tried to organize camps and other things but it just felt like we were hitting a wall. Then our director's brother died which put everything on halt for a week. Ultimately, we have to submit to God and all His purpose to take over. Who are we to question the God who created everything under heaven? Who knows all things? Who has a purpose for the silence at work?

After talking, we had a tender time just chatting with one another hearing what was on our hearts. Even our director joined in on our unofficial meeting and shared his heart and struggles. 

'I know that you can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.' Job 42:2

I found a few of these pics on my boss's computer that I loved and wanted to share. 

These are some of the kids we visited in the village a few weeks ago. 

I love having little kids surround me, touch me, giggle with me. It's so nourishing. Although, i love having a shower at the end of the day to wipe all the germs off my body from their grubby little hands. 

I was being silly. These are two boys we work with in various ministries. They are great characters. We had a break to drink Uji which is Kenyan porridge made with millet. 

Lord, I thank you for who You are. Thank you that Your ways are higher than my ways and Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts. I surrender my life to You. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment