Monday, January 24, 2011

Feb 17th - Here I come Kenya!

I booked my ticket back to Kenya. February 17th is the big day of departure! I was just elated as I walked out of the travel agents office. I have been on cloud 9 all day.

It is also a one way ticket!

I know. Scary. But oh so exciting.

Let me tell you the story...

I was originally planning to head back to Kenya in May. I wanted to work for a few months to get the numbers in my bank account a little higher. I also needed to spend some sweet time with my family. I wanted to talk to some people about the Rehma and hopefully gain some support for them.

Well all that went out the window pretty fast. It has not been an easy few months. Pretty much all of MY plans didn't happen. I struggled big time. I could not get a job for the life of me! I must have applied to 15 different places (which is a lot when you consider what a small town I live in with few employment opportunities) and heard nothing. Nothing at all. For weeks. I started getting pretty bummed. I started doubting myself wondering what was wrong with me. One place I applied at hired a 14 year old boy over me! Although, I thought it was great because the owners were Christians and totally take the most random odd beat people on their staff.

Besides the failed job hunt, a few other plans of mine fell through and I was devastated. My health started to deteriorate again which always happens when I am in Canada. And the list goes on.

However, amongst all these disappointments, I got to have the most precious times in the hospital with my Deda before he died. I think he, above all, was the reason I was home. I found such unexpected joy visiting him in the hospital and spending hours at his bedside talking, holding his hand, praying or just being there while he slept. Incredible blessing.

Around Christmas I started getting antsy really asking God where He wanted me to be. I struggled big time. It was probably the first time in my life that I didn't have a plan. I didn't wake up in the mornings looking forward to anything. I didn't know where to go or what to do. I was lost. And I was scared.

Slowly the idea of going back to Kenya sooner started arising in my mind and, thankfully, in the mind of my parents. My dad, of all people, was the one who almost encouraged me to consider going back sooner.

I started praying  and seeking God. I started looking into flights and talking with good people I am accountable too. I debated what to do when I get there and tried to find some actual jobs in Kenya. All this led me to purchase my one-way ticket this morning!

Yup I am leavin' on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again.

You must think I am crazy by now. But trust me there is more logic to it than you think. I am a very logical person. I don't make a decision without really thinking it all the way through. But sometimes God is not a very logical God. Which is not easy for us logical, always planning, realistic folk.

My main purpose for going back would be to work with the Rehma boys (I have collected almost all the equipment the boys need!) and to nurture and pursue a very special relationship in my life.

I would greatly appreciate your prayers. This is such an exciting leap of faith for me! Pray for my parents as their little girl goes off again to Africa this time not knowing when I will be back. Pray for finances (I would love to get a job in Kenya! it is quite difficult though). Pray for my everyday that God would guide me where He wants me and that I would humble myself enough to listen to Him. Just Pray.

Kenya, here I come again!

1 comment:

  1. Good on ya for going and doing likewise. Jesus is proud of you!

    Blessings,

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete