Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Is the ride over yet?

Is this roller coaster ride over yet???

This month has been quite the roller coaster ride for our family. And I am about ready for this ride to be over.

Things seem to climb upwards and then they eventually get over the hill and fall down fast. Then add in some extra twists and turns, and a few screams, laughs, and cries (ok a lot of cries). We turn a corner and things start going up slowly again but then it seems that something happens and we come tumbling down again hard. We spend sometime regrouping and then again some more twists and turns seem to come unexpectedly.

I have always hated roller coasters. I never liked them since I was a little girl.

I hope the ride has at least slowed down a little after finishing the last part of my Deda's funeral.

 Yes, the last part. It has been over the past 3 days. My grandparents are part of a certain culture and faith called the Doukhobors. You can search it on the internet for yourself if you want to know more about them and maybe one day I will write something about it on here. Their funerals last for 3 days and involve a lot of russian hymns and prayers and many formalities. They say that it 'helps with the transition of the soul into heaven'. It is in 6 weeks that we will do another service at the grave sight where they believe the soul will be accepted into heaven(it has to do something with the timeline of when Jesus rose again after being crucified and then Him eventually ascending into heaven).

It is my culture but it is not my faith. I think my grandparents were the only ones who believe in it and none of their children have decided to follow it. However, it does have a rich culture which I have grown up in and do admire in many ways. We did the funeral for Deda because that is what he would have wanted.

So now that Deda is gone, I am praying that life settles down a little bit. My dad is still on crutches (thats another long story) and my dog walks lopsided (again, another long story). But I am praying that this season or 'ride' comes to an end soon. I wouldn't mind to just stop and relax for a little while.


To everything there is a season,

 A time for every purpose under heaven: 
        A time to be born, 
And a time to die; 
      A time to plant, 
And a time to pluck what is planted; 
       A time to kill, 
And a time to heal; 
      A time to break down, 
And a time to build up; 
       A time to weep, 
And a time to laugh; 
      A time to mourn, 
And a time to dance; 
       A time to cast away stones, 
And a time to gather stones; 
      A time to embrace, 
And a time to refrain from embracing; 
        A time to gain, 
And a time to lose; 
      A time to keep, 
And a time to throw away; 
       A time to tear, 
And a time to sew; 
      A time to keep silence, 
And a time to speak; 
        A time to love, 
And a time to hate; 
      A time of war, 
And a time of peace.


Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment