Saturday, January 7, 2012

...and the two shall become one flesh.


"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,
 and the two shall become one flesh." Genesis 2:24


One flesh, that is what we are now. Hard to believe but so amazing. One of the we things learned in marriage counselling was the concept of 'oneness'. Kelvin and I are now one. And that doesn't mean just physically but emotionally, mentally, situationally, etc. We are to share in time, resources, emotions, material possessions, family, goals, aspirations, finances, etc. I love the 'oneness'. I love that I am no longer an independent person, but one that is attached to another human being on so many levels. It's nice to have a companion.

On to the wedding day...

It really is the day every girl dreams of. Mine was perfect. Of course there was hiccups but it didn't matter in the end. I loved every minute of it.

Some of the highlights of the day:

  • having the groom and groomsmen come for breakfast. I know its tradition that the bride and groom don't see each other but Kelvin and his guys were staying in our new apartment that had nothing in  it except one bed. So I had my lovely ladies help whip up a nice breakfast for them. It was the perfect start to the day. 
  • Relaxing (Yes, I was relaxed) at the resort with my family as we all slowly got ready. 
  • Having my mother do my hair and make up. She cried for almost the whole process. 
  • Walking down the aisle, listening to my friend play my song on the guitar, and having my dad hand me over to Kelvin. 
  • The quick ceremony (practically unheard of in Kenya)
  • All the colours. The garden we got married in was simply stunning. Add to that the mixture of people and all the different clothes, it was simply beautiful. 
  • Being welcomed at the ceremony by more singing and dancing. 
  • The food! It was amazing. 
  • The cake was even better. 
  • Seeing all our boys, looking their best, acting like princes at a fancy party. 
  • Our first dance. (I was a bit nervous as it is a known fact that white people have no rhythm but I did pretty well. I think I shocked a few people). 
  • Being surrounded by Kelvin's family, my family, and all our good friends all in one place. 
  • The breeze off the ocean made it the perfect temperature. 
  • Kelvin's aunties bringing us clay pots and Kelvin placing them on my head (still don't understand but it was so much fun). 
  • DANCING! Yes, there was loads of good dancing. I remember just looking up and being surrounded by my good friends, my family, Kelvin's sweet siblings, and our boys as we all danced. I just delighted in having such wonderful people in my life celebrating all in one place. 
  • The final hours. The party died down but the band kept playing. Our families and a few friends were the last ones there. I got to just sit and talk with my family while the band played and the breeze came off the ocean. The lights twinkled in the palm trees and a few souls were dancing. It was perfect. 
  • Kelvin and I and Munga, the best man, were the last ones at the party after everyone left. We just chatted and winded down before Kelvin and I left together. 
I had 4 goals for the day: 
1. Get married 
2. Eat good cake 
3. Dance to good music 
4. Have fun.

I accomplished my goals, that's for sure. 



Instead of posting all the photos, my album is open on facebook. You can click here to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment