Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas for The Rehma Boys

First of all, I need to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who donated. I was so humbled by the amount of people who stepped up and gave for our boys. We managed to reach our target and even more! 

We planned to hand out the goods on Christmas eve. I was a little hesitant to be honest. I guess I just fear that the boys will feel like they are our 'charity cases' and that we give to them just because it makes US feel good. I always think it makes them feel like they are less than we are which is not what I want at all. I never want them to feel like the 'poor'. I want them to be our friends, sons, companions, community. So I was honestly feeling a little held back from doing this however, I prayed through it and asked God to go before me. 

Dad, Mark, Kelvin and I went to the supermarket in the morning. It happened to be the busiest day of the year as we struggled to push our way through the masses of people. We counted out 25 of every food item on our list. Kelvin and I had a budget of what we wanted to spend. It was funny because we actually barely reached the budget. We had a list of things we wanted to buy but we found that they didn't add up to the amount we were willing to spend. We kept coming up with things like, 'Oh yah and we can give them juice.' And then we would add juice and still have left overs. So the boys ended up getting a lot more than we thought they would.

Mark pushing the rice and cooking fat! 

Kobwa latched on to my dad. Now Kobwa doesn't even play for our team but is probably our biggest fan. He shows up to every game and practice. I used to see him and always high on something but these days he seems to be clean. Anyways, he is pretty much a part of the team so we asked him to come along as well.

The whole family assembling the food. While this was happening, Kelvin took the opportunity to talk to the boys about it. He wanted to explain to them that this was a small gesture of love. People sacrificed so that they could eat. He kept reassuring the boys that someone indeed cares for them even when it seems like no one is interested in them. 

Mallards, in Castlegar, had donated some socks for us so I thought it was a good time to give them out. 

Good little workers!

I told you Kobwa latched on to Dad. 

There they are looking awesome in their new team t-shirts. I did have a wonderful friends, Klark, offer to make them their own logo that is proudly displayed on their t-shirts. Now they can show up to games looking all official! 

I love that my baba is squeezed in the middle of them!!

Kasondra's family sponsors Eric to go to school. It was so awesome to have the two of them meet. 

Some pretty happy campers!

They walked home weighed down with tons of food. Ah, my heart rejoices!

So it's a bit of a sad story...I ended up missing the whole thing. Yah, I got stuck trying to send money to a relative. It was THE busiest day of the year so line ups were long and traffic was insane. The boys waited almost 2 hours for us and I wasn't going to make them wait for me just so I could witness it. Then who would it really be about?? It's all for them in the end. However, I did make it eventually and there were a couple who wanted to stick around to see me. I got the low-down from my family after it was all over. I am glad they got to experience it. 

At the end of the day, the boys were so grateful. I hope they are beginning to believe that they are indeed LOVED, and WORTHY, and PRECIOUS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment