Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Uji Uji Uji!

We used to tease kids when they came for camp that, at the end of the week, they were going back to drinking uji every day. Our kids came from the extreme ghettos of Nairobi where they didn't eat the best of foods. But at camp, they ate like royalty. Uji is a cheap alternative for tea or a meal. It's filling and cheap. 

However, I absolutely LOVE uji. And for the last week, I have been craving it. You would have thought I was a pregnant woman in her first trimester (don't worry - I'm not). 

So today I set out to make uji. It is not the most difficult thing to make in the world. I bought the mix, mixed it with a little water and then added it to some boiling water and let it cook. I then added some sugar and, pap!, I got myself some uji. 

This package cost me less than a dollar and would probably make jugs and jugs of uji. Now I understand why it is so common for people with lower incomes. Actually, it is just millet flour. I think it has a lot of nutrition in it. 


Doesn't it look great??! It has a bit of a sour taste which blends well with a few spoonfuls of sugar. 

When I told my friend I wanted to make uji, she laughed at me and said, "You know that is for small babies and sick people. It will make your stomach grow." 

Well, I am not ashamed to say that I love it. Yes, I love uji. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love uji, what is your recipe?

    ReplyDelete