Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dynamite

So for the last 3 days, Word of Life has a large mission conference here. There are probably about 800 people attending the conference from 3 different bible institutes. Word of Life is a worldwide ministry. I learned that it is in 65 different countries around the world. We have had the pleasure of listening to the stories and life lessons from the co-founder of the organization. It’s amazing to see how much this organization has grown since it was started just over 60 years ago.

I have also been amazed at the huge international community here on this compound. Last night we had an international concert where various choirs made up of the bible institute students sang songs of worship to the one and only God in their language. We had songs in English, French, Japanese, Korean and even Swahili (which the students from Ontario sang). Dieu, Dios, Mungu, God. I was reminded of the nations and our calling to reach the nations. Sometimes you don’t even have to go to them; they come to you. Here is what the conference auditorium looks like. The first year students take all their classes here. It's quite the classroom.

One of my roommates is from Japan and she has been teaching me a lot about Christianity in her country. She said that 80% of Japanese Christians are saved outside of Japan. They come to other countries and hear the Good News. She also told me how she is hoping to go back and be a missionary in her own country to reach the youth. The average age of a pastor in Japan is 65! Here are some treats she shared with me!


The students from the Bible Institute in Quebec also did a presentation today of the various ministries they work with in Quebec. I was humbled as I realized that that is my country and there is still so much need. A strange and new technique for evangelizing they showed us included dynamite. Yup, one of their alumni was now working with dynamite so they thought that they should blow up an old car with dynamite! There reasoning behind it was that we as Christians ought to have the most fun because we have been given life in abundance! I am just glad that their little dynamite display didn’t end any of their abundant lives.

It’s been a fun couple of days meeting people who are interested in the same things I am and have the same heart towards people that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment