Saturday, May 14, 2011

Nyama Nyama Nyama!

Nyama means 'meat' in swahili and usually refers to beef in particular. Today we had nyama ya mbuzi (goat meat) and shared it with all our boys. Kelvin bought a nice, live goat yesterday and left it in Kongowea overnight. Today, I found it tied up to a tree ready to be slaughtered and put in our bellies. 

I took pictures of the whole process but I won't post all the gruesome pictures for you to see. Some of them are gory. After I watched the goat literally being sliced apart, I decided not to eat the meat. I just couldn't do it. 

All our boys and a few of their friends joined us. We had a great afternoon as they all pitched in to make this meal happen. It was fun having them altogether laughing and joking with each other. They really do have an amazing bond as they have all grown up together. 

This young man tugs at all my heartstrings. He doesn't actually play but shows up at all the practices. He is always high on some drug and you never see him without a cigarette in his mouth. Not only that, he is loud and obnoxious. However, he worked so hard today. It was so cool to see him be so helpful with getting this meal together. He was the one who slit the throat of the goat and he was the one washing the dishes at the end of the day. I was totally blessed by him today. 

My man who I so adore. We were sitting together as we watched to boys roast the goat and I said to him,  "You really do love these boys don't you?" and he just looked at me with a big smile on his face. These are 'his boys' and he would die for them. I do love my man. 



Zizou cracked me up when he grabbed a whole plate to himself and licked it clean.

It was a very communal meal (another reason why I chose not to eat).

Handsome Hamso. This boy has the most beautiful smile. 

At the end of the day, we just sat in the shade (next to the gigantic garbage pile) and chatted. Kelvin and Gordo (right) have been playing soccer together in these areas since they were little. Such a sweet friendship. Gordo has started coming back to the pitch to practice with the boys and is taking a leadership role alongside Kelvin. He is also taking a scuba diving course. so cool! 

All in all, another great day with the boys. What else can I say but thank you Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment