Monday, May 16, 2011

Off to the bundus

This evening we are heading to the bundus for a week. Bundus is a slang term that means upcountry or one's home area. Most people in Kenya have land somewhere where their families have ancestral land. They put up a small house that they go and visit a few times a year. I think many of them move back there when they have retired. They live in the big cities because there is more work and opportunity to make money, but their hearts lie in their homes upcountry.

We are headed to Kelvin's home area. We want to go visit his mom and then go and check out some of his father's land. I personally love going to the villages. I am not a city girl at all so I just thrive in the peaceful, quiet, simple atmosphere of the villages. Kelvin's mom lives in a mud hut with no electricity or water. The toilet is a hole in the ground and you have to bathe in a bucket. We eat fresh kale and beans from her big garden and drink lemongrass tea in the mornings. I love the birds and the sun setting in the evening. I love the glowing fireflies that offer a little bit of light in the pitch black nights. Ah, dreamy.

Then on our way home we will stop in Nairobi for a night to visit with one of my best friends from college, Marika. She is in the country working with an organization she is involved that works with orphans. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to see someone from home!!!!!!!! And I am excited for her to meet Kelvin.

I am looking forward to a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment