Monday, May 2, 2011

Vipingo kids camps

We travelled north about 40km to a small village called Vipingo this weekend. A local ministry team had invited Kelvin to be the preacher at their youth camp. For me, it was a blessing to be out of the busy city and go to a rural community for a few days. I really love the simplicity of small villages. I find it so peaceful. 

The camp was wonderful. The children were deliciously delightful. The environment was nourishing. Loved it. 

One of the most out going little children at the camp. Just before I took this picture, she was dancing up and down the aisles as the worship team prepared. Precious.

It was also nice to connect with our friends who were running the camp. They are a young group who just decided to start a ministry to reach out for Christ. We had an opportunity to really give them so guidance and encouragement in their ministry. 

Kelvin's sermon on Sunday was amazing. He really gave a challenge to the people in the community to keep God's commandments straight. Often in these small communities, the people will become Christians yet still hold on to their cultural ways which go against Christ's commands. One of the hardest things to see is parents giving their girls to young men to sleep with or to see single moms having 5 children from 5 different men. Many of them are Christians yet still give into the ways of the world around them. It was a powerful message.

This mango tree became my haven of peace for the weekend. It was gigantic! In the cool mornings, I would come outside and sit on the wooden benches that surrounded the trunk to meet with God. I would watch the sun rise and roosters crow. I was in awe of God's creation and so thankful that I was able to experience it!

No comments:

Post a Comment