Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Travel Writing

This afternoon I signed up for an online travel writing course. When I was in Canada, I saw that the college in my town was offering this course through an online company. It really interested me but I just kept putting it off and off and off. Then my dad said to me one day, "well why don't you do it once you get to Kenya?" That thought had never occurred to me but since it is an online course and I have very reliable internet here, it is very possible.

I got my first lesson today. I haven't read it yet (I have a crazy headache from the heat at the moment) but plan to do so later on today. My first assignment is to write a short article about my favourite place on earth. Hmm, that got me thinking about all the beautiful places I have been too but what makes a place your favourite? Is it the landscape? The experiences you had there? The people? the weather? I guess it is different for everyone. So the creative juices are already flowing. If you had told me in high school that I would sign up for a writing course, I would have laughed in your face. I am the worst writer. However, in the past few years, I have begun to enjoy writing about my experiences. So I am praying that this course will nurture the desire that is already there and give me some practical tools and fine-tuning to do it even better. Who knows, maybe I will be a professional travel writer one day! (Even though I didn't even know there was such a job until 3 months ago).

In other news, I am recovering from possibly the worst sunburn I have ever had in my life. I walked the beach for maybe 30mins last week and the damage is incredible. The blistering, tender, incredibly painful stage is over and now we are at the healing and peeling stage. I am just praying that it doesn't scar. I am tired of people telling me, "Oh Nik that is horrible, you should have wore sunscreen or something." Yes, I am aware of that now. Or here is another one I have heard, "Oh you know that is the kind of sunburn that causes cancer." Wow, thanks for the encouragement. I have definitely learned my lesson.

The Rehma Football league is starting on friday! If you didn't get my newsletter or haven't checked the boys website, you can read about  it there. We are so excited! It's just amazing to see what God is doing and how His favour upon the entire process. We are not sure what He will do through this event but we are expecting big things from Him. I will post pictures and updates of the league in a couple days. The first game is friday and our boys play on saturday. I am going to be on the sidelines cheering them on!

No comments:

Post a Comment